Armistead Maupin has been described as the master of coincidence. He’s also a master of economy. Look how captures the essence of his characters in a just a few words in the following chapter openers…
- ‘Well,’ boomed Arnold Littlefield, dousing his scrambled eggs with ketchup, ‘the hubby stood you up, huh?’
- MANUEL THE GARDENER was grumpy, so DeDe didn’t have the nerve to ask him to clean the yucky things out of the swimming pool at Halcyon Hill.
- MONA WAS WASHING dishes with a vengeance when Mrs Madrigal walked into the kitchen.
- BURKE, OF COURSE, was the hardest one to convince.
- MARY ANN SPENT her lunch hour at Hastings, picking out just the right tie for Norman.
- THE DISCOTHEQUE WAS called Dance Your Ass Off. Mary Ann thought that was gross, but didn’t tell Connie so